March 1st, 2013
From time to time I advise a software vendor on how, whether, or to what extent it should offer its technology in open source. In summary, I believe:
- The formal differences between “open source” and “closed source” strategies are of secondary importance.
- The attitudinal and emotional differences between “open source” and “closed source” approaches can be large.
- A pure closed source strategy can make sense.
- A closed source strategy with important open source aspects can make sense.
- A pure open source strategy will only rarely win.
Good stuff – for software vendors.