Timesink

August 31st, 2010

OMG, I just wasted about 2h updating my Twitter Ruby script because I didn’t carefully read this error message:

/home/maol/bin/politr_oauth.rb:39:in `authorize_from_request': wrong number of arguments (3 for 2) (ArgumentError)
from /home/maol/bin/politr_oauth.rb:39

Turns out my gem update run failed to update the twitter gem because of a missing ruby1.8-dev package on Debian, and I didn’t notice until very late. The old version of the gem expected two arguments instead of three, whereas the I read the message to mean it’s expecting 3 but only getting two.

I hope I’ve learned my lesson for a while again…

Comments are closed.